Tamerton Foliot, St Mary’s Church, Devon.
The clock movement is a J Smith and Son flatbed quarter chime with a date on the set dial of 1897. The clock mechanism drives two 6′-0″ diameter dials. The dials are skeleton cast iron in construction with a copper backing behind the star center, chapters and minute marks.
The copper backing was carefully removed from behind the dials, for re-fitting later. The dials were shot blasted back to bare cast iron then painted with a rust preventative primer, under and top coat.
The Copper backing panels and hands were chemically dipped to remove the old paint and then painted back up to black gloss.
The dials and hands were then gilded with 23 1/2 carat double thick gold leaf.
The dials once re-fitted were sealed to the wall to prevent any water ingress with lime putty.