Automatic Winding – St Giles Church Badger, Wolverhampton
St Giles Church in Badger can trace its history back to the 12th century, when the present tower was probably built. In 1834 a new nave was built on the tower, using local sand stone, but incorporating materials from a former building. The furnishings would have been very different from the present ones which date from 1886. There was a gallery at the west end and the pews were boxpews using oak from previous furnishings as well as some new oak from enormous trees in the grounds of Tong Castle.
The Davis of Shifnal turret clock is dated 1834, so we can assume it was installed when the new nave was built. It has been hand wound until recently when we were asked to install an automatic winding system to the clock movement.